K-12 Technology Workshops
CET Learning Services provides professional development in the use of classroom technologies and instructional strategies to K-12 school districts throughout our viewing area.
Educators can choose from the regularly scheduled workshops listed below, or work with CET to design on-site instruction for your staff.
CET is one of eight Educational Technology Agencies (EdTechs) in Ohio. To learn more about statewide educational technology efforts, please visit www.ohioedtechs.org
- NEW! The 3Ds of Learning: Building and Using 3D Environments
Get your feet wet with some of the new technologies for teaching with 3D in the classroom, such as Google Expeditions. We’ll explore the latest 3D, VR (virtual reality) and AR (augmented reality) content, and examine some of the teaching issues such as costs, strategies for use, and managing viewing devices in the classroom. Workshop length: three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- NEW! Introduction to Google Classroom
Some call Google Classroom a course management system; some call it workflow management. Whatever you call it, Google Classroom is another tool for teachers to use in delivering content for blended learning classes. Participants will learn how to get up and running with Classroom, see examples of its use in different content areas and learning environments, and learn how to use it for delivering instruction, feedback and grading. Workshop length: three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- Putting the Blend in Blended Learning Blended learning is, essentially, the integration of the online learning experience into a formal school environment. In a blended environment, teachers strive to provide the best of both worlds. Working online can allow students to take more or less time on a specific assignment/module as needed, work at their “just right” level of reading, or choose among a variety of modules that teach the same content in ways that serve different types of learners. Participants will learn about definition of blended learning, current research, models of blended learning and whether to purchase, curate or create their content. Workshop length: three hours, face-to-face or online; certificate provided ($125).
- Introductory Computer Science for Elementary Students – K-5: CET offers Code.org’s no-cost, one-day workshops for K-5 classroom teachers, media specialists and technology teachers interested in teaching computer science. Workshops will cover a special, highly interactive elementary curriculum and offer supplies needed to teach the courses. Participants will receive: • Printed curriculum guide • Classroom supplies for the unplugged lessons • Fun Code.org swag • Workshop length: six hours; certificate provided (FREE).
- Learning for the Digital Age Learning for the Digital Age is a professional development initiative for Ohio's K-12 administrators and teachers that explores the role of technology in supporting critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and communication -- the skills students need to be effective in today's classroom and tomorrow's workplace. This workshop provides high-quality interactive training for educators to help students use technology to master these essential skills for success throughout life. We offer this workshop in a variety of formats. A five-hour face-to-face workshop is available immediately for delivery in your district. (Call Gary Greenberg at 513-345-6547 to arrange a date.) A blended learning format (first 1.5 hours in person, followed by online work) and a fully online format for the workshop are also available. (Free for public school employees; $125 for private school employees.) 5 contact hours.
- Learning for the Mobile Age Districts throughout southwest Ohio are welcoming mobile technologies into their teaching practice – through one-to-one tablet and laptop experiments; through changing practices around students’ own mobile devices; and through use of E-Books and cloud computing. These technologies bring enormous changes for teachers, administrators and technology coordinators. Learning for the Mobile Age is CET’s response to the need for an introductory workshop that addresses some of the challenges brought on by mobile learning. CET develops Learning for the Mobile Age in three different formats: A five-hour face-to-face workshop, a blended learning format (first 1.5 hours in person, followed by online work) and a fully online format. Thanks to support from Ohio Department of Education, this workshop is now free of charge. (Free for public school employees; $125 for private school employees.) Workshop length: Five hours; certificate provided.
- Learning to be Digital Citizens From using social media tools for education to monitoring your personal ‘digital footprint,’ digital citizenship is a challenging topic for teachers and students alike. This workshop, in both fully online and blended-formats, revolves around nine topic areas in digital citizenship identified by the International Society for Technology Education (ISTE). Video case studies and interviews with national experts will complement discussions of important issues for teachers, administrators, staff, students and parents. Thanks to support from the Ohio Department of Education, employees of public schools may attend for free. The cost for employees of private schools is $125 per person. Five-hour certificates of completion are available for all formats of the workshop.
- Makers & Shakers: Making Things for Deeper Learning Building on a widespread movement toward using hands-on activities to cement learning new concepts, this workshop will guide you in developing your own classroom makerspace. Perfect for applied learning in science, mathematics and the arts, ‘making’ is also appropriate for projects in English language arts (think: story settings) and social studies (think: historical artifacts). Workshop length: three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- No workshops available at this time.
- Online Resources / PBS Resources This workshop emphasizes high-quality, instructional resources available from proven sites such as InfOhio, the Ohio Resource Center, and the PBS LearningMedia collection. There is much more to finding digital resources than a Google search - let our presenter show you how ($125). Workshop length: three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- Digital Storytelling with Multimedia Digital Storytelling is a creative process in which a traditional story (or assignment) is combined with personal digital technology such as a computer, video camera and sound recorder. Students thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to creatively tell their stories with technology. Educators in this workshop will learn the importance of story planning and use a variety of free Web sites where students can create and share their tales. Aligns to Common Core standards for non-fiction. Workshop length: three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- No workshops available at this time.
- Serious Games for Serious Learning Have you been thinking about trying out computer or video game strategies for engaging your students? It can be done! Let our CET staff show you how. "Serious games" is a term academics came up with to describe games and interactive experiences in which both learning and enjoyment are the goals. Serious Games for Serious Learning requires no expertise in game play or game design. We'll introduce you to educational game theory and practice. Then you'll learn where to find educational games in your content area, and discover strategies for using them in your classroom. Workshop length: Three hours; certificate provided ($125).
- No workshops available at this time.
- iPad Apps for the PreK-6 Classroom Prerequisite: Participants must be familiar with the iPad, have an iTunes account, and bring their own iPad to the workshop. There are so many apps available that it's hard to decide what to download. We'll look at a collection of noteworthy apps for the K-6 classroom that are worth considering. These will cover a variety of curriculum areas and grade levels. You're sure to find some apps you'll want to install. Participants will receive a $25 iTunes gift card to download apps right away. Workshop length: Three hours; certificate provided ($125).